Chevron

Saturday, October 6, 2012

Free Tables can be Pretty Tables Too!

I Love Decorating!  I'm not really sure if I'm good at it or not because my taste is somewhat eccentric, but man do I love it anyway.  I could change my house monthly and be totally entertained with the process of looking and coordinating new fun stuff to create a new space. For me, my home is my safe place and HAS to reflect my family and I and what we love.

I also have a love for finding things that are slightly unloved and turning them into something somewhat fabulous and special and different. I love shopping at Goodwill, Antique stores, Craiglist, friends trash (shhhh) and strangers curbs.  I'd say that probably half the furniture in my house cost me less than $15 to purchase and has been completely redone by yours truly and is now being used and complimented on.  I love the whole process of the transformation.  It is so gratifying to me to find good old furniture that has incredible bones and turn it in to something wonderful. 

My latest piece was a dining room table that a friend of mine was ready to get rid of.  She was going to take it to Goodwill, but because she knows my love for reinventing stuff, she asked me if I wanted to give it some love first.  Of course, I took her up on the offer.  It had incredible detail and was a great quality piece that I knew could be completely transformed with some love. 

I didn't take a before picture, but it was a rosey pink wood color. It was pretty bad. I knew it had good bones though, and I could visualize it in a bright white with a lot of glazed detailing that would make the details pop. So, that is exactly what I did. Here are some pics of the process, taken by Bosten.......


Painted a bright white all over! 


The glazing process.... using Martha Stewart black coffee glaze
 
Glazing is really fun.  You get to paint, and then wipe off the excess with a wet washcloth.  You can wipe as much or as little as you want depending on look that you are going for. In this case, I wiped off most of it because I wanted the look to be subtle.


Here is the table in its finished state.
 
 
The top and detailing

 
Finished product in the dining room.  In need of a few more chairs.  These two I found at Goodwill a few years ago and they have been moving all over the house until now. I wanted something that would add a pop of color to this boring room so I went with some very budget friendly blue chairs from Target.com
 

And here they are!  I love them.  I also love the dozen roses in the middle of the table that my Hubby brought home one day for no reason whatsoever. He is always sweet like that. : )


The entire dining room set including chairs cost me a total of $250.  The 4 chairs were new and cost $200. I had some that I got for free that I could have redone, but frankly after I got this table done, I dropped it and almost ruined it trying to get it into the house.  I was so burnt out after this process that I decided I didn't have it in me to put the work into the chairs that I had. So, I found these online and called it a day.  The other two chairs on  the ends cost me $10 from Goodwill, and the table was free. I probably spent about $40 on paint and glaze.

So, there you have it.   Overall I'm thrilled with it.  My kids are hard on our stuff and when I do things like this, it doesn't break my heart quite as much when they sweep across the table with a permanent marker.  I know that I can easily fix stuff or that I didn't invest a lot in the piece, besides time and TLC, so it isn't so bad if something happens to it. 

Hope you enjoyed seeing this latest redo.  There are plenty more where that one came from.

Brit

No comments:

Post a Comment