Chevron

Monday, February 25, 2013

Chasing a Cow in the Cowtown 10K!

So, last year, I wrote about the amazing God experience I had running the Cowtown 10K with my Sister, Micah, and how God himself carried me over the finish line.  I still remember the cold chills I got that day and the rush of adrenalin as I crossed the finish line and amazed even myself by running the whole race.  It was a great day that changed how I depend on God now.

This year, I had several friends training for the half Marathon.  I wanted so badly to do it, but knew that I had only SURVIVED the 10K the year before.  I found it a rather lofty goal to imagine that I could double that achievement this year.  So, I vowed back in October to train appropriately for the 10K and not just survive it this year, but to run it and feel like I could actually function afterwards.  So, this is what I've been doing.  I did my normal routine of training hard for 3+ months and just about the time that I got to where I needed to be, I got distracted and it got really cold and I got busier and training kind of came to a screeching halt. 

Race week came and I hadn't run at all in a while.  I was a little worried, but I do feel like I have come a long way in my training and I felt confident that I could run 4 miles ok and then use that adrenaline to get through the last two. 

Race day came and that is exactly how that went.  I got up and dressed warm for the 30 degree temps that morning and loaded my iphone with a great play list.  I was running a little late, so by the time I got there and parked, I ran myself straight from my car to the start line and just kept running right into the race.  So, I do believe I should get an extra half mile for that little jaunt as well.

I had a few friends running the 10K this year and they had all suggested that we meet up that morning beforehand and run together.  Not to take anything away from their support and amazing friendships, but I am rather antisocial when it comes to my run time.  It is a very personal thing for me because I'm not a runner by nature and it hurts a little and pushes me in ways that I normally don't push myself.  I'm not in my comfort zone running and a 10K requires and involves a constant conversation between God and I to get through.  So, talking it up with a friend is a distraction for me, as much as I enjoy that, and I need to stay focused to achieve this goal.  Running a 10K is all about the breathing and the bathroom in my opinion.  As long as I don't stop running, I know my legs will do the whole thing.  If I don't breathe in twice and out once throughout the race, I start to struggle.  I also have a very nervous tummy, and this seems to get me year after year in any race I do.  I'm constantly battling waves of sickness throughout the entire race and it has almost halted me in my tracks more than once.  For me, controlling my tummy is the most difficult part.  So sad, and gross!

I did exactly what I expected this year, I ran the first four in the zone and did really well.  On mile 5 I almost lost it a few times due to tummy fun and really wanted to walk.  Last year, at the beginning of the race a gorgeous woman with a prosthetic leg ran by me at the beginning of the race and really motivated me that if she can do it, I better not have one single excuse as to why I can't.  Well low and behold if at mile 5, that same woman didn't run right past me again this year.  I was so grateful for that little push and it carried me through that mile.  At mile 6 you feel like you are in the countdown and so I was able to motivate myself to keep running then.  I was even able to speed up for the last 100 yards this year.  This was a big accomplishment to me that showed that I had come far from last year where I basically flung myself over the finish line and then cried immediately because it hurt so bad and I was so worn out.  This year, I ran it all, by myself, and more than survived it.  I ran it and enjoyed it.  I do wish I had continued my training appropriately so that I could have been proud of my speed, but for me slow and steady was the way to complete this year's Cowtown 10K. 

I did chase a Cow too.  He was very helpful. Again, if a man in a Cow suit can run a 10K, I'll be darned if I can't run it too. 

So, I'm grateful for the accomplishment and I'd like to thank those that supported me though it.  God, Micah, Mom, my babies, and don't forget Drake, Beyonce, Bieber, Paramore, Bruno Mars, and JT for the musical soundtrack support.  There is definitely a lot about the music that leads to my success.  Anne Hathaway in Les Miserables, On My Own, somehow snuck its way onto my 10K play list and about stopped me in  my tracks it was so depressing.  So, much love to the others for carrying me through!

Now, if you'll excuse me while I go and ice down my throbbing legs! ; )

No comments:

Post a Comment