Chevron

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

The Dog Days are Over!

Today I feel like ranting about the kids and the difficulties of juggling the three of them that are so close in age, but for putting it in writing's sake, I'm going to try and put a positive spin on it.  You're welcome! ; )

We are reaching a new phase at our house and its causing some growing pains around here.  The boys are now 8 years old and Parker is 6 1/2.  I still baby them and do everything for them constantly. 

You see I'm a control freak by nature and sometimes, no most of the time, its easier for me to just get the things done that need to be done rather than ask and nag on these little Angels (with Devils horns tucked under their hats) to do anything at all.  Let alone when I ask them or the way it should be done.  Grrrr!

Positive, positive, must stay positive......

Ok, so after what seems like day in and day out nagging for a week or so now, it occurred to me, it's time!  Halle-freakin-lujah it's time!

It's time to make them lay out their own school clothes and reap the benefit of doing it the night before or the consequence of waiting till the last minute.

It's time to have them do their homework before anything else after school and be held accountable for making sure they are prepared for school the next day by putting it in their own backpack.  Even if it means changing colors at school.

It's time for them to take the belt out of their own pants before they stick it in the laundry basket so they know where it is the next morning.  You know since it's their FAVORITE belt and they will just DIE if they don't have it to wear.  Sounds like a personal problem to me. ; )

It's time for them to get their baseball stuff ready for practice and carry their own bags and put their cleats where they can find them the next time they need them. 
I could go on and on, but I'll spare you.........

So, the moral of the story is that Mama is tired of doing everything for everybody and then being blamed when its not done exactly how they wanted, expected, or wished.  I truly cannot possibly keep up with every whim and desire of all three of these kids to make sure that there are zero bumps in their daily road.  Just.can't.do.it!

I'm excited to watch the storm before the calm on this difficult little life lesson.  I'm sure it will come in lessons from Teachers, Coaches, Me and others.  I'm sure their will be tears and anxiety and frustration along the way.

However, the result, is that I teach the kids one of the most important lessons of all in my book. 

YOU ARE CAPABLE.............of anything and everything that you put your mind to.

I didn't seem to grasp that lesson as a child and it has held me back for years in pursuing things that I would love to do.  I want my kids to jump over this hurdle with confidence. 

I'm sure they will rise to the occasion and maybe even teach the old Mom a new trick or two along the way!  


No comments:

Post a Comment